New Zealand is a coveted vacation spot by many and within the two most important landmasses that comprise it, it’s no information that the South Island (Te Waipounamu) sometimes steals a lot of the vacationers’ consideration — nevertheless, there are a number of superb issues to do in North Island (Te Ika-a-Māui) that everybody ought to NOT miss out on too!
Actually, aside from the standard elegant mixture of forests and mountains, the North Island is very recognized for its wild surf seashores (notably on the west coast and Coromandel Peninsula), geothermal exercise (as per Taupo and Rotorua’s wonders), cultural focus (provided that the Māori are primarily concentrated there), and LOTR origin (consider the well-known Hobbiton and Weta Workshop).
Clearly, there are an array of spectacular actions you could verify off of your bucket record right here. Actually, to make it an entire lot simpler for you, I’ve listed under the highest must-do’s and must-see’s on your New Zealand journey within the North Island! The most effective half…? You are able to do most of those epic actions if you happen to be a part of a street journey journey with Wild Kiwi!
High photograph of Whangarei Falls from Shutterstock.com
Issues to Do in North Island
#1 – Have some ocean enjoyable
Cathedral Cove from Shutterstock.com
Pristine seashores, legendary surf, and rugged cliffs — North Island’s shoreline is the right place to chill out or catch some waves!
- Auckland: Known as because the “Metropolis of Sails”, you shouldn’t go away this hub with out exploring its coast and close by islands — from the famed Rangitoto Volcano to the plush Waiheke Island. In any other case, you’ll be able to frolic across the black sand seashores of Karekare and Muriwai, after which pop over to Piha to surf and discover Lion Rock. For those who’re fairly in search of a crusing expertise, you are able to do a harbour cruise tour or higher but, get a style of what it’s wish to yacht race in a single the world’s most prestigirous crusing regata.
- Bay of Islands: With over 140 subtropical islands in its enclave, this can be a nice vacation spot in the summertime because it is filled with hidden seashores and nice terrains. Begin your journey from the ocean port of Russells which is the primary everlasting European settlement in New Zealand as you discover historic buildings and promenades. Afterwards, a number of the issues you will need to see on this group of islands are Urupukapuka Island and Rainbow Warrior (shipwreck in Matauri Bay).
TIP: Wanna journey with ease? E book a tour to the Bay of Islands and Waitangi right here.
- Coromandel Peninsula: This pure surprise has two prime highlights…
- Sizzling Water Seashore at Mercury Bay = This place is exclusive for its underground geothermal scorching springs that may simply be ‘accessed’ by digging by the sand as a result of it’s then that the recent water escapes by the floor — thereby forming considerably of a scorching water pool for guests.
- Cathedral Cove (Te Whanganui-A-Hei) Marine Reserve = With its lovely white sand, turquoise waters and towering rock formations, this place is kind of a sight! I guarantee you that the hike to this cove is well worth the effort; in addition to, the pathway right here that’s well-known for being the opening scene from the film Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.
- Raglan: This small coastal city is legendary for its general surf tradition and its black sands in Ngarunui Seashore. As one of many world’ longest left-hand surf break, will probably be fairly an expertise to surf right here!
#2 – Expertise pure spas
Photograph by Polynesian Spa
The place to be is in Rotorua given its distinctive geothermal exercise which steams up from nearly wherever: from the city’s pavements, the geyser fields, the mud swimming pools and the recent springs. As such, it is best to reap the benefits of this thermal expertise by visiting the next…
- Polynesian Spa: Voted as one of many world’s prime 10 spas, this lakeside institution is famend for its therapeutic waters and decadent therapies for the reason that 1800s. Principally, waters from two pure springs are fed into their 28 scorching mineral swimming pools, so there’s lots to go round for everybody! (See their web site right here).
- Hell’s Gate: For a distinct expertise, Hell’s Gate is finest recognized for its mud baths and sulphurous spas, as harking back to the showering and sweetness therapies practised by the Maori folks. If I’ll share a tip, comply with it up with a standard Maori ‘Miri Miri’ therapeutic massage that they’ve. (E book your rest retreat right here).
TIP: You would additionally uncover thermal swimming pools to wash in on the forest of Kerosene Creek or on the ‘scorching water seashore’ of Lake Tarawera.
#3 – Attempt white water rafting
It is a good thing to do with your loved ones or pals when in Rotorua’s Kaituna River! That is really one of many issues to do in North Island that I made positive to verify and it absolutely turned out to be a unprecedented expertise!
We went by steep native bush canyons and over 14 rapids and three waterfalls, together with the world-renowned 7-meter Tutea Falls which is the ‘Highest Commercially Rafted Waterfall within the World’! Fact be instructed, this was my first white water rafting exercise of all time and it was completely a fantastic first. (Finest to e book this with Kaitiaki).
TIP: One other place the place you are able to do that is in Tongariro River close to Taupō.
#4 – Go to breweries, wineries & vineyards
Not lots of people know this however New Zealand doesn’t solely have nice wine however additionally nice beer! The most effective place for this within the North Island must be the premier wine area of Hawke’s Bay which has been usually known as because the ‘Wine Nation’. So for starters, go loopy on the purple and white wines there — however extra so on the purple for the reason that area is a number one producer of full-bodied purple wines. In the case of beer, be aware of the craft beer of Hawkes Bay Brewing Co. in Napier.
In case you’ll be able to’t go to Hawke’s Bay, try the excursions under which might be held close to the most important cities of the North Island:
#5 – Go up excessive
Because the land of journey and breathtaking landscapes, admiring New Zealand from up excessive is a MUST in your issues to do in North Island!
- Sky diving: Dive with highly-trained tandem skydiving instructors and free fall from hundreds of ft within the air — it’s positive to be an expertise that can go away you speechless (and also you’ll even get to go residence with bragging rights!). For this, I counsel doing it both in Auckland or Taupo within the North Island.
- Sky Stroll: Get the very best vantage level of Auckland metropolis from the 192-meter Sky Tower, the best constructing in New Zealand! (To e book your spot, go right here). On this expertise, you’ll principally stroll on a 1-meter vast platform with no handrails, however with a security harness in fact. Whilst you stroll 360 levels round this tower, you’ll get to cease at numerous factors to have your photograph taken, study extra of Auckland’s historical past, in addition to lean over the sting.
#6 – Go soar
Photograph from Taupo Bungy
Do you know that New Zealand invented bungy leaping? …Effectively okay, technically, folks in Oceania have been leaping from tall towers for hundreds of years — BUT, it was a bunch of Kiwis who commercialized bungee / bungy leaping within the 1980’s, and as you realize, the remainder is historical past. Given this truth, will probably be a blast to problem your fears and do a bungy soar within the nation that began all of it. For the very best locations, see under…
#7 – Go quick
Photograph by Huka Falls Jet
There are numerous issues to do in North Island that can allow you to undergo a quick and thrilling expertise…
- Luge: Considerably of a mixture between a go-kart (with out the engine) and a toboggan (with out the snow), Rotorua’s “Luge” is a enjoyable and fast-paced journey exercise that’s nice for folks of all ages! I loved this a lot and lots of people even say that this place is best than the Luge exercise present in South Island’s Queenstown, so go and provides this a attempt!
- Jet Boat: That is an adrenaline-pumping exercise that was invented by New Zealand. So if you happen to like velocity, spins, and thrills mixed with marvelous water surroundings, happening a jet boating exercise might be price your whereas! I’ve gone by this expertise myself with Hukafalls Jet in Taupo and it was a great deal of enjoyable!
- Zorb: Additionally known as as ‘globe using’, zorbing entails rolling down a hill inside an enormous inflatable ball. Invented in 1994 in New Zealand, this has turn out to be one of many ‘must-do’ actions when within the nation and it usually offers you the possibility to decide on the type of path that you just’ll undergo — could or not it’s zigzag or straight!
#8 – Kayaking
There are numerous kayaking alternatives within the North Island whereby you’ll be able to rise up shut with the character’s spectacular coastal formations in clear subtropical waters. A few of the finest locations to do it are in Auckland, Bay of Islands, Lake Taupo,and Lake Rotoiti (Tasman) amongst many others.
…Higher but, if you happen to ever sight a physique of water, search for the closest kayaking store to lease some for you and your loved ones and pals!
#9 – Chase After Waterfalls & Lakes
Whangarei Falls from Shutterstock.com
With New Zealand’s majestic pure terrain, there may be at all times a beautiful waterfall or lake close by — wherever chances are you’ll be. A few of the notable ones might be…
- Lake Taupo: It is a breathtaking lake that’s really the caldera of the Taupo Volcano. As the most important lake by floor space in New Zealand, one of many well-liked issues to do right here apart from kayaking is crusing with the intention to take pleasure in its waters or to go fishing. Plus, one spectacular stopover on your issues to do in North Island would be the iconic Mine Bay Maori Rock Carvings which is made up of a number of particular person carvings that every has its personal story and that means.
- Bridal Veil “Waireinga” Falls: Present in Pakoka River in Waikato space, this plunge waterfall is 55 meters excessive and with its energy, it has fashioned a big pool at its base over time.
- Whangarei Falls: Arguably essentially the most photogenic waterfall in New Zealand, this 26-meter watefall has ample walkways round and alongside the river and is a well-liked picnic spot since th 80s.
- Huka Falls: This highly effective but astonishing set of bluish waterfalls on the Waikato River drains onwards to Lake Taupo. It’s stated that per second, the quantity of water flowing by it usually approaches 220,000 liters! For a unprecedented expertise, don’t overlook to attempt jet boating with Hukafalls Jet right here!
- Lake Waikaremoana: Positioned in Te Urewera, you can see right here considered one of New Zealand’s 9 “Nice Walks” which is the Lake Waikaremoana monitor that entails a Three to 4-day tramping (vigorous strolling). This roughly follows half of the lake’s circumference as you undergo a pristine rainforest, wetlands, valleys of mist, waterfalls, rivers, and a magical ‘goblin forest’.
#10 – Biking
For those who’re into biking, irrespective of if you happen to’re a newbie or not, New Zealand is a good place to do it in — relaxation assured, there are many rental suppliers that yow will discover throughout your keep. To start out off, there are a number of “Nice Rides” in Nga Haerenga (“The Journeys”) path to select from for each age and talent and a number of the locations to do it in are in…
- Hawke’s Bay Trails
- Rimutaka Cycle Path
- Nice Lake Path
For an entire record, see right here.
#11 – Witness Maōri Tradition
Powhiri ceremony photograph by Graeme Murray
The Māori are the indigenous Polynesian folks of New Zealand and Rotorua in addition to its surrounding cities arguably has the best focus of Māori villages.
With that in thoughts, it’s a should to go to not less than a type of villages with the intention to immerse your self with the historical past and customs of the Maori folks — a tradition that the nation is very happy with. I visited the most effective villages, Tamaki Maori Village, and a number of the many superb issues that you just’ll expertise and which I personally cherished was witnessing the grand pōwhiri (welcoming ceremony with waka or warrior canoe), practising hongi (conventional greeting through which folks press their noses collectively), seeing the highly effective haka (conventional conflict cry), studying in regards to the Maori historical past, partaking in a hangi (conventional Maori feast), and extra!
Another villages that you could possibly additionally verify are…
- Mitai Maori Village: Fairly just like Tamaki Maori Village whereby the expertise is completed in a pure bush setting and the welcoming ceremony (powhiri) is completed with an historical warrior canoe (waka). To e book, go right here — in any other case, you may also purchase a bundled ticket the place additionally, you will enter the Rainbow Springs in Rotorua (a compact zoo with a kiwi hatchery and interactive animal encounters).
- Te Puia: The performances on this village are carried out in a contemporary makeshift constructing (in contrast to Tamaki and Mitai whereby it’s carried out within the bush or forest), however the distinctive factor about this place is that apart from the Kiwi Home (the place you’ll be able to witness the elusive kiwi), you may also marvel on the geothermal wonders which might be unfold over its 60 hectares of land, together with the well-known Pohutu Geyser which is the Southern Hemispheres largest lively geyser. In your immersion, you’ll be able to select both a day or evening expertise (however I personally advocate the evening portion since you’ll be able to take pleasure in all the pieces below the starry sky).
#12 – Do metropolis/city excursions and stops
Throughout your entire journey, the next excursions and stops needs to be excessive in your issues to do in North Island…
- Auckland Metropolis Highlights
- Auckland Harbour Cruise
- Wellington Shoreline Tour
- Wellington Te Papa Museum Tour
- Feilding: A relentless winner for being known as because the nation’s ‘Most Lovely City’ given its beatiful Edwardian structure, boutique buying and rural appeal.
- Napier: Common for its beautifully-preserved 1930s structure of art-deco buildings.
- Raglan: An excellent coastal group with a ‘boho’ vibe. It additionally gives the very best browsing within the nation.
- Russell in Bay of Islands: The primary everlasting European settlement in New Zealand.
- Te Mata Peak close to Hastings metropolis: A picturesque peak providing views over the Heretaunga Plains, Hawke’s Bay and Napier.
- Whakatane: Present in Bay of A lot, it’s often known as being New Zealand’s ‘Sunshine Capital’.
#13 – Go to Center-earth
For the ‘Lord of the Rings’ and ‘The Hobbit‘ film followers like me, a visit to New Zealand is your once-in-a-lifetime probability to enterprise off into your personal Center-earth journey! The excellent news? Most of it’s discovered within the North Island. The highest two locations for you’ll be…
- Hobbiton Film Set: That is the well-known 12-acre film set of the enduring village of the Shire. As a customer, you’ll be guided by a two-hour strolling tour to the totally different hobbit gap homes (e.g. Sam and Frodo’s home) and different quintessential landmarks just like the Mill and the Inexperienced Dragon Inn (the place you may also seize a complimentary drink that’s brewed solely in Hobbiton!)
TIP: For those who’re up for it, you may get a packaged tour the place you not solely get to go to Hobbiton but in addition the Waitomo Caves from Auckland.
- Weta Workshop: That is the place you get the unique ‘behind-the-scenes’ tour on the workshop of the inventive geniuses who’re behind the movies of The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, District 9, King Kong, The Chronicles of Narnia and extra! All through the expertise, you’ll be up shut with all of the props, armor and automobiles created for the aforementioned movies and to cap it off, you’ll cease by the Weta Cave store the place there’s a mini museum, collectibles and film merchandise for all of the followers on the market. (For this you’ll be able to select a day tour or an prolonged night tour with the start line being in Wellington).
TRIVIA: The co-owners of Weta are Peter Jackson, Richard Taylor, Tania Rodger and Jamie Selkirk.
TIP: For a fuller expertise, you’ll be able to partake on this half or full day Lord of the Rings tour that explores the movie units throughout Wellington metropolis, together with the Shire, Rivendell, Isengard and the Nice River Anduin. It would additionally cease over at Weta and capped off with an orc-sized LOTR-themed lunch on the Scorch-O-Rama cafe.
#14 – Watch a rugby recreation
All Blacks doing Haka from Shutterstock.com
For those who’re mad for rugby just like the Kiwis — most particularly to their beloved ‘All Blacks’ nationwide staff (who I first found by watching a viral video of their highly effective ‘Ka Mate’ haka efficiency) — then, there is no such thing as a higher place to indulge on this affair than to observe a recreation of the All Blacks of their residence floor which is in Eden Park in Auckland!
For a nationwide recreation, costs are normally between NZ$20 to $30 per individual, whereas worldwide video games are about NZ$60 to $150, relying on the place you select to take a seat.
#15 – Eat, eat, eat!
New Zealand’s delicacies is essentially influenced by America, Europe and Southeast Asia and closely-related to Australia. Whereas Maori delicacies is a distinct factor altogether; however to provide you an thought, under is a listing of meals that you will need to attempt!
- Afghans: Crunchy chocolate cookies
- Crayfish: For those who’re from the Philippines like me, shelling out about NZ$80 is perhaps overkill, however New Zealand fishermen delight themselves when catching this so give it a attempt!
- Fish and chips: This won’t be an authentic of New Zealand however it’s an important a part of the native meals
- Hangi: You possibly can finest do that conventional Maori cooking methodology if you happen to be a part of one of many Maori cultural village excursions
- Hokey Pokey: A vanilla ice cream blended with caramelized sugar
- L&P (Lemon & Paeroa): It is a softdrink that’s proudly made by Kiwis. I’m not into softdrinks however I really like this for its candy lemony style
- Lamb: This meat is cheaper within the nation — in any case, the sheep inhabitants is bigger than New Zealand’s human inhabitants!
- Manuka honey: You’ll discover a number of issues in New Zealand blended with this and it is sensible to convey residence a jar as a memento too
- Paua: A big sea snail that’s eaten uncooked, fried, and so on. (The shell of this snail is gorgeous, by the way in which!)
- Pavlova: I’m in LOVE with this meringue dessert which has a crispy outer layer and mushy internal core
- Meat or mince pie: Kiwis love their mince pies and that is principally a pastry stuffed with meat and gravy
- Tuatua: Consuming this sort of shellfish is believed to be a Maori custom
- Whitebait fritter: A type of omelette blended with small juvenile fish
- Wine and cheese: New Zealand has a fantastic wine area and for the very best indulgement, pair a fruity purple wine with cheddar cheese
#16 – Go climbing or trekking / tramping
Tongariro Nationwide Park from Shutterstock.com
Select from any of the next…
- Any of the “Nice Walks”: See the whole record right here.
- Wanna trek by Mordor? Verify the Tongariro Alpine Crossing in Tongariro Nationwide Park.
- Do the Cape Brett Walkway: It is a difficult but rewarding coastal hike within the Bay of Islands.
- Coromandel Coastal Stroll: Meanders by forests and offers nice sights over Coromandel Pinnacles, Nice Barrier Island, Port Charles and Cuvier Island.
#17 – Climb mountains and summits
Mount Ruapehu from Shutterstock.com
Key choices could be…
- Go to mountains:
- Mount Ruapehu:That is the best mountain within the North Island, and although it’s an ative vlvano, it’s loved by a number of hikers, skiers and snowboarders.
- Mount Taranaki: The 2nd highest mountain in North Island. Climbing that is fairly laborious however the views from up excessive might be price it.
- Mount Taranaki: Additionally known as as Mount Egmont, that is an lively volcano which is alleged to be essentially the most completely fashioned within the nation. Climbing its prime ought to solely be tried in good climate and by skilled trampers — with good climate being from February to mid-April. (For extra data, go right here).
- Go up Rangitoto Summit: An Auckland icon, this grants nice panoramic views of the cityscape as you undergo lava fields and forests.
#18 – Marvel at glow worms and discover caves
Photograph by Waitomo Glowworm Cave
Waitomo is a village that’s well-known for its intensive underground cave methods, and as a customer, you are able to do the next…
- Waitomo Glowworm Cave: Do you need to see stars up shut — or higher but, see a galaxy of ‘tiny residing lights’? With this tour, you’ll be gliding silently on a ship by Waitomo River as you undergo the “starry” wonderland of the Glowworm Grotto which has hundreds of tiny glowworms (Arachnocampa luminosa) that radiate a luminescent bluish mild at the hours of darkness. Thoughts you, these creatures are distinctive to New Zealand solely!
TIP: For those who’re up for it, you may get a packaged tour the place you not solely get to go to the Waitomo Caves but in addition Hobbiton from Auckland.
- Ruakuri Cave: Very like the principle Waitomo Glowworm Cave, Ruakuri Cave tour gives the magical expertise of sighting glowworms up shut; however greater than this, you’ll be winding your method by spectacular limestone formations and crystal tapestries.
TIP: If you need a extra adventurous expertise, black water rafting is your best option for you as you abseil, weave, soar, climb and float by the beautiful underworld of Ruakuri Cave and some waterfalls too.
- Aranui Cave: Although that is the smallest out of Waitomo’s Three most important caves, visiting Aranui Cave will fairly provide you with a better have a look at all of the stalactites, stalagmites, flowstones and different limestone formations.
#19 – Witness the wildlife
Photograph by Zealandia
New Zealand has lengthy developed right into a continent with distinctive natural world, so if you wish to sight its native wildlife, go and go to any of the next spots…
- Zealandia Sanctuary: It is a protected pure space in Wellington whereby 225 hectares of forest is being restored. So far, that is stated to be the world’s first fenced city eco-sanctuary and it has since helped elevated the variety of sightings of species akin to tui and kākā. Aside from these, you may also see the Little Noticed Kiwi, glowworms and different native wildlife right here. (To purchase a ticket, go right here).
- Rainbow Spring Nature Park: A compact zoo in Rotorua with a kiwi hatchery and interactive animal encounters. (To purchase a ticket, go right here).
- Cape Kidnappers: This cape is residence to the most important and most accessible gannet (seabird) colony on this planet.
- Crimson Rocks Reserve: This straightforward coastal stroll from Owhiro Bay will lead you to an incredible fur seal colony with pups.
- Tiritiri Matangi Island: This island on the Hauraki Gulf is a surprising wildlife sanctuary for the nation’s native birds and endangered species. It is usually residence to a 150-year previous lighthouse, a community of trals, and pristine seashores.
- Tāwharanui Marine Reserve: One of the simplest ways to take pleasure in this reserve is to do both diving or snorkelling to be able to observe its colourful reefs and fishes. Fact be instructed, dolphins and orcas are even usually sighted within the space.
#20 – Go to geothermal wonders
Wai O Tapu from Shutterstock.com
Rotorua is filled with a number of geothermal parks that can go away you in awe, and if I’ll counsel, it is best to select from any of those prime Three locations (after which metal your sense of odor!)
- Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland: This showcases New Zealand’s most colourful and distinctive lively geothermal components which were sculpted by hundreds of years of volcanic exercise. (E book your ticket right here).
- Te Puia: Aside from being a Maori cultural village, Te Puia is legendary for its geothermal exercise particularly that of its Pōhutu Geyser which is alleged to be the most important geyser within the southern hemisphere. It additionally erupts a couple of times each hour at heights that would attain 30 meters!
- Hell’s Gate Geothermal Park and Mud Spa: Aside from witnessing boiling swimming pools and erupting waters, you could possibly additionally take pleasure in their scorching spring companies which might be coupled with a therapeutic mud and sulphur spa. (E book a spot right here).
- White Island: That is the nation’s most lively cone volcano and it’s discovered on the Bay of A lot. Regardless of its roaring gases and effervescent mud swimming pools, it’s really doable to step foot on this reside volcano’s internal crater by a tour! So if you happen to’re up for a once-in-a-lifetime journey, go and seize this opportunity.
IMPORTANT: New Zealand has STRICT quarantine legal guidelines for undeclared meals and different biohazards. Which means that it is best to not herald any type of contemporary meals akin to bananas, apples, honey, and so on. as you just remember to eliminate them earlier than going by the luggage declare space. Processed or packaged meals could be accepted however you’re alleged to declare them in your arrival card. For those who’re ever doubtful, ask for clarification — in any other case, you’ll be charged with a hefty high quality.
For those who’ve received outside gear like diving gear, climbing boots, and so on. you will need to clear them earlier than you journey to New Zealand to ensure that the inspection course of to go extra shortly for you. Be suggested that New Zealand is agency about this given how they’ve sniffer canines and bio-sensitive X-ray machines to detect any undesirable objects.
I hope this record will enable you to raised streamline your New Zealand journey itinerary! Actually, to raised make your journey hassle-free, think about checking the street journey excursions of Wild Kiwi. Get pleasure from!
Did you want this text? Observe me on Fb, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube and be notified about my latest posts and updates!